So the other day, I was walking through PetSmart and saw Pumpkin Spice dental chews and just laughed. Have we really become that PSL and pumpkin obsessed that we have to include our dogs too?
Well, the answer is YES!
While I can not vouch for pumpkin spice dental chews, I can let y’all know about these perfect, healthy, and SUPER easy homemade FROZEN PUMPKIN PIE TREATS to satisfy your pups craving to be basic and love pumpkin everything too.
Huckabee LOVES LOVES LOVES these treats! They only contain four ingredients: Pumpkin, Yogurt, Coconut Oil, and Cinnamon. All of which have amazing health benefits for canines.
Pumpkin: Pumpkin is full of fiber which is great for digestive health! It is even great for weight-management for our heavier pooches. (Source)
Yogurt: Yogurt is full of awesome probiotics, which support healthy digestive systems. Yogurt is also an excellent source of protein and is full of calcium! (Source)
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil supports healthy skin and coat development, helps with allergies, improves digestion… seriously the benefits of coconut oil are endless. It is a wonderful God given ingredient! (Source)
Cinnamon: Cinnamon has amazing anti-inflammatory properties, has been found to decrease bacterial growth, and even prevent diabetes in pups. Cinnamon also improves brain function. (Source)
That’s enough about how good these treats are.. lets get to making them.
- 1/2 cup PLAIN Yogurt (I use Greek, but regular yogurt would work too)
- 1/3 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
SUPPLIES: large mixing bowl, whisk, spatula, zip-lock or piping bag fitted with desired icing tip, baking sheet, sealable storage container
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a piping or zip-lock bag fitted with icing tip.
- On a lined baking sheet, pipe out dime-sized treats.
- When baking sheet is filled, placed baking sheet in the freezer and let treats harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Once treats are completely frozen, remove each treat and place treats in a sealable container and store in the freezer. (make sure to work quickly because the treats will melt if out of the freezer too long)
Huckabee is obsessed with theses Frozen Pumpkin Pie Treats. He literally goes INSANE for them and acts a fool trying to snatch them out of my hand. I can not give them to him quick enough!
Like seriously, jumps up and literally SNATCHES these treats right out of my hand!
This Frozen Pumpkin Pie Treats recipe makes enough for two entire sheet pans full of treats, however number will depend on the size of your individual treats. They can be stored for several weeks in the freezer but I’m not lying when I say they won’t last long… because (DON’T tell Huck) I am obsessed with them too and probably eat more than I give him!
Y’all have to make these and let me know how your little friends (and you) like them in the comments!
love, Huckabee and Tara
(DISCLAIMER: As always, it is important to consult with your veterinarian prior to introducing new food items in your pet’s diets. Also, I am not a chef, nor am I a pet nutritionist. Consult with licensed professionals to ensure this recipe is safe for your animals!)